Thursday, May 5, 2011

Getting ready

We are preparing for a 2-3 month trip in our new (used) Travel trailer. It is a 2005 18' Fleetwood Pioneer. I knew NOTHING about RVs before this idea popped in my husband's mind. He wanted a sailboat cruise up the East Coast for the summer.
All I could think about was my son jumping out of the boat while we were asleep.
Not fun sleeping with one eye open all summer long.
When he awoke one morning and suggested the RV instead
I jumped on it with full gusto to get the idea of my 2 1/2 yr old drowning out of my head. So the hunt began with Craig's List and used RV dealers in the area. The really cheap ones were cheap for a reason. I wouldn't let a dog sleep in some of the ones we saw. Have these people never watched an episode of Get it Sold on HGTV? There was one with dirty dishes in the sink and dog hair all over the cushions. Another one I saw online was so scary it looked that the unibomber lived there or a serial killer.

We finally found one in a nearby town that a Methodist minister was selling. He showed us every little thing piece by piece while his 8 yr old granddaughter entertained my child.
There has to be some good Karma that goes along with this trailer. He was eager to take our offer for less than his asking price. He wanted a family to enjoy it like he had. After coming back the next day with cash in hand and getting even more tips and tutorials we exchanged handshakes and hugs.

We took it out last week for a trial run and to see what we needed to pack. After a one night stay at Oscar Scherer State Park we decided it wasn't such a bad purchase after all. Everything works well except for a burned out left signal light.
My son was not easily convinced to sleep that night but after musical beds we finally got some sleep. 2 women from Savannah happened upon us when we could not remember how to unfurl the awning correctly. They were pros and put us to shame with their knowledge. I love Southerners. They can be nosy but sure do come to help at the right times.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like loads of fun. Can't wait until you get here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You make me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your entire blog from beginning to end and it was hysterical, as I knew it would be. (This is Mark Haas, by the way.) It was great to see you and Jeff in Charleston and your trip has inspired me. I have wanted to do something like this and this blog has my wheels turning (no pun intended). You created a lifetime of memories while I was at work doing things I won't remember next year. Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete

Sunset at Thousand Islands

Sunset at Thousand Islands
Wellesley Island, NY